Sunday, April 15, 2012

who is behind the big names in music, literally.

I have noticed lately that background singers and musicians are being recognized pretty regularly on all of these competitive television shows. I am having a brain fart and the only example I can think of right now is on Dancing with the Stars. They ALWAYS introduce their band and singers and I love it when shows like DWTS and popular artists at concerts do that. Those vocal chords, lips and fingers should not go unnoticed. I started thinking about all the band members and background musicians of the world, and figure they have got to have the best stories. Cruising around with famous artists, meeting A-list celebrities, and getting copious amounts of men (or women or both, I'm not here to judge) in bed. These are just my assumptions.

Jerry Scheff was a bassist for Elvis Presley, Bob Dylan AND the Doors, and he wrote an autobiography telling us all about it. Way Down: Playing Bass with Elvis, Dylan, the Doors and More, hello, coolest autobio ever. Unlike me, Scheff did not write this book with his mind in the gutter. He wrote solely about his life in the music business, including tales from tours, private jets, and studio sessions with some of the most amazing musical geniuses of....well, not my time, but maybe your time. I may be a baby, but I can appreciate the music that Jeff Scheff helped create.


And let's not forgot my meet and greet with Jim Morrison (from the Doors, for those of you who live under a rock). Best I could do since he had to up and die at twenty-seven.


No comments: