Monday, February 13, 2012

a little something new for you: cinematography.

I have never reviewed a cinematography book before, so I was super excited to receive Cinematography: Theory and Practice by Blain Brown to check out. I haven't thought about cinematography in ages, and after flipping through I got to experience (again) how cinema met photography, fell in love and made a little baby called cinematography.


Cinematography is the most powerful tool in film making. It is the point-of-view, the movement, the close ups of characters and the manipulating of perspective for the audience. Film is visual storytelling and mastering this art requires knowledge of the smallest things, like lighting and when to incorporate the different angles in a shot. Basically Brown created this book to assist cinematographers and directors in image making. It is filled with a lot of tips. Absolutely recommend it for you Communications/Media Arts majors (which surprisingly, I was for my Bachelor's degree), I would have killed for this book when I was in undergrad.

Blain Brown is a cinematographer, director, writer and teacher. He currently runs the cinematography program at Los Angeles Film School. You can check out his work at www.BlainBrown.com. To make sure he's legit and all.

No comments: