Monday, February 27, 2012

a gluten-free morning.

I am known for my super-human eating powers. I have intestines of steel, and I didn't realize how gross that sounds until just now. I can eat anything and everything, and my stomach handles it like a champ. It's like Superman or Wonder Woman, either way it's very strong. I know of a few people who are not as lucky as I am. Many of you may suffer from the same thing....belly aches after meals caused by gluten, dairy, soy or egg intolerance. You poor souls, everyone leaves the room when you eat a bowl of ice cream. Let me help you...


Tammy Credicott created a collection of pretty-much-everything-free recipes titled The Healthy Gluten-Free Life. I decided to jump on board immediately and make one of the delicious sounding breakfasts.

The pretty book.

Ingredients:

1 cup water
1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
Pinch of sea salt
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 tsp raw organic honey
1/2 cup frozen strawberries, thawed (keep juice)
2 Tbsp toasted almonds, coarsely chopped


Recipe:

Cook quinoa according to package. Remove from heat, stir in vanilla extract, and cover with a lid and let rest for 5 minutes. Fluff quinoa with a fork, spoon into bowls. Drizzle honey and add strawberries to bowl and sprinkle tops with almonds.

The final product. Feel free to add a little almond milk.
It was VERY tasty.

Be sure to put Tammy Credicott on your Christmas card list you g-free people. She includes recipes for corn dogs, mashed potatoes, pancakes and oh, about a hundred and fifty more.

No comments: