Wednesday, December 9, 2015

1996 expedition.

I don't really get the draw of thrill hikes. And when I say thrill hikes, I mean climbing mountains. I have a friend who I visited in Hawaii, she took me to the top of this crazy mountain, and I literally almost fell off. Probably because getting to the top required a rope and my legs, none of which I trusted. But, I did it, it felt good, and when I called my mom after, she was all NO MORE THRILL HIKES. And I was all, OKAY. And meant it. Reading After the Wind: Tragedy on Everest - One Survivor's Story by Lou Kasischke definitely did not change my view on mountain climbing.



I love a good expedition narrative, I just wish it didn't involve the death of eight climbers. The year was 1996 when Lou witnessed the worst tragedy in Everest's history. Other survivors have written accounts (Jon Krakauer's Into Thin Air), but Lou's definitely stands out. I did feel a little uncomfortable that leader, Rob Hall isn't here to defend himself. But Lou being a highly experienced climber made this story smart and his perspective important.

No comments: