Wednesday, August 26, 2015

white girl wasted.

My early twenties self can mildly relate to Sarah Hepola's memoir Blackout: Remembering the Things I Drank to Forget. Relate in the sense that I also had an evil twin I needed to apologize for some morning-afters. And sometimes I didn't really know how I ended up in sleeping bags on the floors of houses with no furniture where people were only speaking in Australian accents around me. But we can save my stories for another day. Sarah here was living every addicts dream. Coping with booze, and not remembering to think about a thing that troubled her. Not her parents abandonment, not her insecurities about school or work. But when rock bottom hit her hard, she decided to quit drinking and actually feel something, which of course, led to its own share of demons. A lot of people are not going to get it. They won't be able to relate to this woman or her story. And on the other hand, many young women struggling through their own insecurities and unhealthy relationships with alcohol will learn something from this author's honesty.

No comments: