Monday, July 27, 2015

the goldfinch.

I finally finished The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt which has been on my bucket list for a while. At just under 800 pages, it was a little overwhelming, but what a ride! Set in present day New York City, thirteen-year-old Theo Decker has just been suspended from school. Forcing his hardworking single mom to take the morning off to meet with his principal. On their way, they decide to hit the museum, after separating for only a moment, a giant explosion kills almost every person in the place. On a whim, Theo took his mother's favorite painting, The Goldfinch, hoping to see her again back at the apartment, since there was so much commotion. Only to find out that she wasn't a survivor. This event will now dictate the rest of Theo's extremely dysfunctional life. I wish I could go through every character that crosses Theo's path from then on because they are all incredible. But that would take forever. Through the hundreds of pages, I was shocked often, laughed a lot, and truly felt for our main character and all the loss that followed him. If you have some time, I definitely think that Tartt's novel is worth the read.

No comments: