Tuesday, June 17, 2014

we could all use a little psychotherapy.

I could read about human behavior all day everyday. Whatever I can get my hands on, I devour it. My most recent gem is psychoanalyst Stephen Grosz's first book titled The Examined Life which is drawn from his day-to-day practice with real life patients. Every chapter is titled with a truth or a subject such as hate (for example) and every truth or subject is backed up by specific case histories. More examples, why parents envy their children and how the fear of loss can cause us to lose everything. And the most interesting one in my opinion, how praise can cause a loss of confidence. Whoa. I kind of feel like that one had a little bit of me in it.  



I enjoyed Grosz's storytelling about his patients and their unique situations. I've always been curious about why people do what they do. For example, why have I been eating like a savage two and a half weeks before my wedding when I know I have to fit into my wedding dress? Well because I'm an idiot, obviously. But there must be more to it than that. I need a therapist.

No comments: