Wednesday, October 24, 2012

must-have reference, advanced concepts.

I always talk about how NOT tech savvy I am, and then I proceed to write reviews on extremely techy books. Why? Because I WANT to be tech savvy. It's just a process people. I have to admit, I am a little over my head with this next one though. Microsoft's SQL Server 2012 Analysis Services: The BISM Tabular Model by Marco Russo, Alberto Ferrari, and Chris Webb....WHATTT am I talking about???



Chapters 1 and 2 are titled Introducing and Getting Started with the Tabular Model respectively, I wouldn't worry too much. We've totally got this. Well, I got it, as soon as I figured out what Tabular meant.  If you’re familiar with PowerPivot you should be comfortable with Tabular Models. While this is an introductory book on the Tabular Model, it is not even remotely a beginners guide. You may find yourself (like me) in tad bit over your head if you’ve never worked with Analysis Services in previous versions of SQL.

Why use the new BISM Tabular Model?
  • it is faster to develop than BISM multidimensional
  • it can used for creating prototypes and analyse later if a full blown multidimensional solution is required.
  • it’s easier to make changes to the model.
  • it’s less expensive to use in terms of time, resources and skill requirement.
  • DAX is fairly easy to learn and has a gradual learning curve.

Make the choice, and when you do, keep this baby close by. You'll be looking in it every eleven seconds.

No comments: