Monday, April 20, 2009

getting to know autism.


I love reading books having to do with certain disabilities. It really helps me, personally, understand what it may feel like. I don't know what it's like to have something, not wrong, I don't want to say wrong, but different with me that everyone can notice within minutes of a first conversation. How awkward. At least I get to hide all of my weird quirks.


"Anything But Typical" by Nora Raleigh Baskin is the story of Jason Blake, a twelve year old with autistic spectrum disorder. Told in the first person, it describes what being autistic is like from the inside out. Jason's love of writing opens a whole new world to him. In that world, he can be whoever he wants to be; in that world, he is a "normal" kid.


Grab the tissues and enjoy this excellent novel!

No comments: