Wednesday, February 17, 2016

bunhead.

I find ballet to be such a romantic form of expression, and I appreciate the time and effort put in by those ballerinas who take on dancing as a career. The pain, the body issues, the things they give up. I have a respect for their will to "make it." The whole idea is fascinating to me. I could never give myself to something like that.

 

Girl Through Glass is Sari Wilson's debut novel set in 1970's New York City with a promising ballet student named Mira. When her parent's marriage unravels, Mira seeks structure that only the ballet world can give her. Wilson's narrative does have a heavy focus on dance and all that it costs our heroine, but the way she alternates past and present day creates a coming-of-age story you won't soon forget.

No comments: