Friday, May 22, 2015

let's reflect on this for a minute.

I'm not very Zen. I'm not easy going. I don't mediate. BUT. I want to be all of those things, so I read Paradise in Plain Sight by Karen Maezen Miller who is actually a Zen teacher and helps students (and readers like us) find contentment in the here and now, just like she did in the ancient Japanese garden in her backyard (even though at the time she didn't exactly have a green thumb). Miller uses her Japanese garden as a metaphor to explain Zen concepts. I can get behind this idea because the home I've created over the last two years with my husband IS my Zen place, if I had such a place. I've created a very cool and open space for myself when my husband keeps his crap in his designated rooms, and I love it. This book is about making wherever you are in life right now, your paradise, and I love that message along with the rest Miller shares, especially the message on change. Because change is SO hard for me. This was a very soothing read and helped me realize how my own fears can blind me to so much promise for myself.

No comments: