Thursday, May 2, 2013

let's ride.

I am not what you would call a country girl, but I work in a country school, and out here in the country my students milk cows, raise chickens, and ride horses. When I was younger I used to visit my aunt and uncle who lived in the country, where I learned how to ride and also participated in a few horse riding competitions where I inevitably received the “participation ribbon” because let’s be honest, my sunflower leggings and I were totally city slicker. I do like to connect with my students and their interests, and I don’t necessarily feel the need to inform them of my horseback riding glory days, which leads me to my next review…



The Gentle Art of Horseback Riding by Gincy Self Bucklin is a step-by-step riding guide for those who want to learn everything important before mounting your steed. Bucklin even incorporates a lesson-plan format to help you experienced riders teach others.

This resource includes:

·         The seven steps for dealing with fear-related stress

·         Interpreting your horse’s behavior and body language

·         Saddling up, riding in half-seat positions, and using the reins

·         Basic movements, including walk, trot, canter, turns, and transitions

·         More advanced trotting, cantering, galloping, hill work, and fence jumping skills


If you’re new at this, and you don’t want to take lessons, or feel stupid going into your first lesson with no knowledge, this is the perfect resource for you.

No comments: