Tuesday, March 24, 2015

ordinary light.

In the grand scheme of life, well, my life as God's child (a role I'm still working on), I am so boringly ordinary. I don't like to talk about my acts of service. I don't like to make a big deal, probably because I am so the opposite of perfect that I don't want people to ever misunderstand my occasional goodness for having my life together. I never really thought about this being a good thing until I read Ordinary: How to Turn the World Upside Down by Tony Merida. So many people think that being a Christian requires missions to third world countries, giving up an ordinary life to do the extraordinary. Merida makes it clear that it is just as important to do acts of service close to home. Helping the poor in your city, volunteering at a Boys and Girls Club in your area, it may not seem as special or as extreme as raising money to go teach orphans in Haiti about Jesus, but really, what could be more special than taking time out of your everyday life to be the light in your own backyard?


Merida makes his point through many Bible verses along with one of my favorite parables. The Good Samaritan, the very best story about being a good neighbor. Help those that you see often. Help whenever you can. There doesn't have to be a show, or a Facebook page dedicated to your ministry.

No comments: