Monday, February 16, 2015

feeling unfocused and overwhelmed at work? there's a book for that.

Living with Adult ADD is hard. Not a lot of people get it, but it really is. I'm not medicated or anything, as I believe I am mature enough to handle myself, but the struggle is real. I lose focus almost immediately whenever I do anything I'm not wholeheartedly interested in, and even then I start to fade. I don't have a lot of issues when I teach or do a photography shoot, as these things have a time limit and I can make myself focus for a certain amount of time. Just not all day. Many of you suffer from lack of focus, especially at work. I found Ned Hallowell's Driven to Distraction at Work: How to Focus and be More Productive super helpful and I think you will, too.


There are two very important parts of this book. Part One's focus is to help readers overcome distractions at work. Electronics being a huge one. It's so much easier and fun to peruse Facebook and Pinterest than do paperwork, grading, or whatever tedious things your job entails. Part Two involves managing and maintaining your ability to focus, with strategies to help you mentally stimulate yourself, supplements you can take to help you get rid of the afternoon blahs, and mediation tips.

No comments: