Friday, January 10, 2014

unlearn your bad habits.

Relationships are hard work. I really had no idea how hard until Manfriend and I moved into our home after we got engaged. Just getting used to the presence of someone new in the same space as you for long periods of time takes some getting used to. It was easier to be wonderful when we saw each other part-time. Dr. Barton Goldsmith is hoping to make my relationship (and yours) thrive with his resource The Happy Couple: How to Make Happiness a Habit One Little Loving Thing at a Time. Because 50% of marriages end in divorce, and I’d like to be the other 50, thanks.


The main purpose of this resource is to help couples establish a more positive relationship and a deeper emotional connection. Communication is key, we all know this, yet we do nothing to better the communication between us and our partners, myself included. I still find myself shouting my feelings at Manfriend at the completely wrong times, and pretending things are resolved when they aren’t, just because I don’t want to talk about it anymore. Dr. Goldsmith gives exercises to help prevent this lack of communication. The rest of the chapters cover other bad habits you may be bringing into your relationship. Communication is my problem, yours may be hurtful teasing, you may feel a lack of acknowledgement from your partner, or they may feel that from you, etc. No relationship is perfect; however, you may find the steps YOU need to make yours better right here.

No comments: