Sunday, June 30, 2013

a bunch of grandmas are going to be pissed their secret recipes are out.

I don't know where these southern people get their grandmothers from, but mine's more of a broad than a sweet old lady who shares her recipes with me. As a child, I do remember her baking and me watching, but honestly, my grandmother's idea of comfort food was a bowl of Frosted Flakes and homemade milkshakes, which worked for me.

In At My Grandmother's Table by Faye Porter, southern granddaughters and grandsons share recipes they enjoyed as children, and memories of the one's who prepared them. They all make their grandmothers seem sort of magical, and maybe southern grandmas are. This recipe collection is very down home, complete with sweet tea, pies and cobblers, old fashioned donuts, and gravy. Including the ultimate comfort foods in the form of main dishes such as chicken and dumplings, many different ways to fry chicken, stews, and casseroles. A great cookbook for any kitchen, even if you're a damn Yankee.

No comments: