Saturday, May 5, 2012

one hell of a side man.

Happy Cinco de Mayo everyone! I wish I had planned something a bit more dark complected for your reading pleasure...but I don't. Deal.

And you know what Bobby Keys?  “Every night is a Saturday night” used to be my philosophy also, along with “if it smells good, eat it.” Then I applied to grad school and that was all shot to hell. Well, not the “if it smells good, eat it” philosophy, I still comply with that one. I'm feeling lucky that this very special holiday landed on a Saturday this year. And I’m just saying, it must be nice to be a famous sax player for the Rolling Stones since 1970.

His biography Every Night's a Saturday Night: The Rock 'n' Roll Life of Legendary Sax Man Bobby Keys is written like you’re having a conversation with Bobby himself. I mean, sometimes he didn’t know if he remembered his memory correctly, whatever, no big deal, keeping a diary is so not rock ‘n’ roll. All that matters is:
1. He’s funny
2. He was friends with John Lennon and Yoko (which I was super curious about that one)
3. He’s got great stories, and tons of them



I haven’t read such an entertaining bio in a long time.

No comments: