Wednesday, February 8, 2012

is mace legal? i keep forgetting.

Every great mystery/thriller writer has their niche, Tami Hoag's is her ability to ALWAYS come up with an "I NEVER saw that one coming!!!!" ending. Her latest thriller, Down the Darkest Road is no exception.


This story is set in the same fictional land as Hoag's previous novels Deeper than the Dead and Secrets to the Grave. Both novels are set in the 1980's. Vince Leone an FBI agent and Tony Mendez a detective in Oak Knoll are central characters in all three. It's kind of like a series, but it doesn't follow the same exact characters throughout. The main drama in this installment revolves around the Lawton family. Lauren Lawton's sixteen-year-old daughter, Leslie went missing four years ago. Her husband killed himself shortly after her disappearance. She is left with her youngest daughter Leah, and moved out of Santa Barbara to try to start fresh. This most disturbing part is that Lauren knows who is responsible for Leslie's disappearance, he stalks her regularly, but there is no real proof of any crime. He even lawfully stalks her, if that makes any sense. The even more disturbing part is that Leah will be turning sixteen very soon. So Leslie teams up with our private eye, Tony to try to ensure that history does not repeat itself.

I don't want to jinx it, but I am thinking that 26 is the age when creepy men stop trying to steal you. I don't know for certain, but I'm thinking that I am around the cut off. My father seems to disagree, which is why he bought me this lovely gift.


Yes, this is a mace GUN.
And no, it is not strange to be presented with this as a gift on a random Tuesday night.
Not in my family. Thanks, dad. 

No comments: