Thursday, June 3, 2010

a memoir of a runaway.

Some of you may have seen The Runaways (came to theaters March 19th) starring Kristen Stewart and Dakota Fanning, who play real life rock and rollers, Joan Jett and Cherie Currie. I have yet to see it, because I was waiting to read Cherrie Currie's memoir Neon Angel before I saw the film.

Joan Jett and Cherie Currie came onto the rock scene a little before my time, okay the mid 70's was A LOT before my time, not to make any of you feel old. This minor age difference does not turn me off from wanting to learn more about the teenage rock stars these women used to be. Currie's memoir is so honest and gritty. She was basically this rebellious child punk rocker who took the world by storm as The Runaway's head singer. There was no supervision, which lead to drugs, alcohol and a lot of darkness. Life was not even close to light and fluffy for this Cherie Bomb, it was filled with horror stories that will shock you.

This book gives us the inside details on the sex, drugs, rock and roll and recovery experienced by Cherie Currie and her band mates, who all grew up much too fast in a world that was much too wild.

No comments: