Monday, March 29, 2010

thanks jodi.


I am taking an Exeptionalities class in grad school and have become obsessed with autism. So when I found out Jodie Picoult's new book, House Rules was based on a teenager with Asperger's syndrome, I was ALL OVER IT. She must have done months and months of research, I swear her book is flawless. Through my experience working in my local school district I started looking for the signs in students that I knew were diagnosed with Asperger's, and Picoult's book really helped me out.

Now, on to the story. Jacob Hunt is an eighteen year old senior who was diagnosed with Aspergers (which is a form of autism) when he was a toddler. His dad left them shortly after his younger brother Theo was born. Their mother Emma, raised them all alone, which is hard enough, but became much worse when Jacob was diagnosed. Children with Asperger's need to eat a special diet, be on special medication and vitamins, and also keep to a daily routine or they will have regular meltdowns. Emma has done really well raising Jacob, and keeping to his routines so that he can live a relatively normal life. Being Jacob's mother is a full-time job, so her personal life, and also Theo take second.

Jacob is obsessed with forensics. He is extremely intelligent, and has learned everything he can about the field. This obsession leads him to become the main suspect in the murder of his tutor, Jess who is a twenty-something grad school student. It's really, really interesting to watch this story unfold. It's one of Picoult's best for sure.


TO WIN A COPY OF THIS BOOK SEND YOUR NAME, ADDRESS AND THIS BOOK TITLE TO: jenileerose@yahoo.com!

No comments: